We are seeking to recruit a Strategic Relationship Management Project Manager to join the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) team.
The successful candidate will strengthen and reinforce our FDI team in Italy, overseeing the in-market Strategic Relationship Management (SRM) approach in collaboration with the FDI team at Post. This would include the identification and classification of companies in Italy that require a SRM effort to initiate FDI into the UK, or to maintain their current levels of FDI in the UK.
The role-holder would form part of the existing FDI team and work in collaboration with HQ and FDI teams in the UK, ensuring local SRM priorities align with the larger organisational context.
The role-holder would look after the coordination and briefing in advance of VIP engagement at Post working with the relevant colleagues in London. They would capture and analyse strategic company data in order to track previous account activities, and to identify and ensure appropriate follow-up.
In more detail, main responsibilities will include:
- Delivery: Introduction and implementation of a robust and a future-proof strategic relationship management methodology in Italy, build on the overall SRM practice outlined by DIT HQ and working in parallel with similar procedures established in other UK government organisations;
- Resources: Propose, discuss, agree and implement the SRM plans for each selected company in close cooperation with the existing FDI team at Post taking personal initiative, securing buy-in and ensuring cooperation with all relevant colleagues;
- Capture: Ensuring local SRM data, knowledge, activities and plans are captured and presented using the DIT SRM templates, while sharing those with the relevant account team and key stakeholders; and kept updates at any time;
- Strategy: Using all means available to successfully deliver FDI projects incl. cooperation with Ambassadors, VIP contacts, key stakeholders, HQ/Post colleagues and policy teams for efficient account management. Identify, suggest, plan and deliver strategic activities engaging the client throughout the ‘life’ of the account plan. Establish procedures for agreement of selection criteria for SRM in Italy incl. when SRM accounts should be closed;
- Communication: As required by the FDI team, build solid rapport with key clients in order to increase their interest in information about UK market solutions, policy and regulatory changes. Create a thorough understanding of the local team’s client requirements; enabling anticipation of specific client requests and establishment of trust and loyalty in the relationship;
- Synergies: Operational alignment with overall DIT SRM Strategy & regional European initiates and actions where cross border cooperation can maximise opportunities & results for the UK economy. Active and constructive engagement in regional activities to identify best SRM practice and increase synergies for UK promotional activity and impact;
- Personal: Demonstrate personal ambition for DIT’s FDI team including the ability to maximise resource, introduce innovative ideas and enhance capabilities leading to increased performance and effectiveness;
- Flexibility: Seamless integration into the existing FDI team at Post, delivery of general FDI-related work including lead generation, investment meetings, event organisation and delivery, VIP visits and related briefing and reporting according to FDI requirements at Post.
The post holder will report to the Director – DIT Italy Network. The role will require occasional travel within Italy, Europe and to the UK.
- Fluency both oral and written in English and Italian (Common European Framework level C1 or above, or equivalent);
- Experience of business development in Italy;
- Excellent organisational, communication and team working skills;
- Creative thinking;
- Experience in account / relationship management;
- Proven project management / SRM credentials;
- Ability to build rapport at all levels internally and externally;
- Strategic thinking;
- Big picture thinking;
- Analytical skills, including effective use of Excel and CRM tools.
- Knowledge of UK strengths at country and regional level;
- Experience with and awareness of the FDI sales cycles;
- Understanding of technology sector.
This is a temporary full-time 1 year contract (35 net hours per week) with a possibility of renewal.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday usually from 09.00-17.00. Some degree of flexibility is expected.
The appointment is subject to security clearance and the successful completion of probationary period of 4 months.
All staff employed by the British Consulate-General are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General Milan are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Visa/passport requirements: must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Italy and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.