The British Consulate General Milan is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The Department for International Trade works with UK-based businesses to ensure their success in international markets, and encourage the best overseas companies to look to the UK as their global partner of choice.
The Milan based Department for International Trade Team is seeking an experienced Marketing and Business Development specialist with existing expertise and great connections.
This is a Fixed Term position for 18 months, with a possibility to extend.
The UK Government is revamping its export strategy in order to meet its high-level goals of doubling the UK’s foreign trade and stock of foreign direct investment by 2020. As part of this, a more strategic focus is being introduced in key export sectors in important overseas markets. This includes the Life Sciences, Retail & Consumer, Defence and Security and technology/innovation sectors in Italy. This is an exciting time to be joining the team. The UK industries are world leaders in these sectors, so there are great opportunities to be exploited.
The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in building business networks to identify new leads and opportunities. They will be highly able at building and maintaining key external relationships and will maintain fruitful relationships with existing contacts.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Researching organisations and individuals online (especially on social media) to identify new leads and potential new markets.
- Ability to use business networks to deliver will be measured by DIT target matrix.
- Following up new business opportunities and setting up meetings.
- Planning and preparing presentations.
- Communicating new campaign developments overseeing the development of business/commercial documentation.
- Managing the DIT Marketing Planning and activity budget control & to manage a small team Working closely with the DIT team to promote commercial activity engaging to raise DIT’s profile and visibility.
- Develop partnerships with Italian and UK companies locally that will help reach DIT Italy business objectives and that will help raise the organisation’s profile/ visibility locally.
- Writing reports and providing regular feedback in support of DIT strategy.
- Working in support of the team goals helping to ensure they are met.
- Planning and overseeing business development around new initiatives.
- Attending conferences, meetings and industry events.
- Working closely with the digital marketing events lead.
- Maintaining contacts with DIT Marketing Hub Europe and Marketing HQ and local authorities and regional Government offices.
- Fluency (Oral and Written) in both English and Italian (C1 level or above under the CEFRL or equivalent)
- Project Management experience (at least 3 years)
- Consolidated experience in marketing and business development (at least 3 years)
- Good IT skills, especially MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- University degree.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent Ability to research and analyse complex information.
- Self Starter – ability to work well on own initiative.
- Confident user of social media for professional purposes.
- Strong communication skills.
- Skill in prioritizing and ranking obligations.
This is a full-time temporary position with a contract of 18 months, graded at B3 as per the FCO grading structure. The contract will be reviewed towards the end of the term with a possibility of extending for an additional 12 months.
The monthly gross salary is Euro 2.802. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday, normally from 09.00-17.00. Some degree of flexibility is expected.
The job requires occasional travel within Italy and outside.
Confirmation of the job is subject to a four month probation and the successful completion of a security clearance and references check process.
All staff employed by the British Consulate General are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General Milan are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.