Interior Minister says defensive line is working
The government is seeing "excellent results" when it comes to keeping organized crime out of Expo Milan 2015, Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said Monday, reported leading Italian news agency ANSA.
"In soccer terms, our defensive line is working, blocking crime from getting close to our goal," he added. According to Alfano, the anti-mafia checks have been accelerated since they first started – “We have put in a turbo,” he said.
Alfano was speaking in Milan at a meeting of law-enforcement agencies to discuss 'Mafia Free', a program aimed at keeping organized crime out of the upcoming World's Fair. He had given details of the defence plan in January this year.
Expo commissioner Giuseppe Sala took the word to explain that a revised, updated version of the plan was being circulated to other countries planning to participate in Expo, with the instruction that they, too, should follow the programme.
And Milan prefect Francesco Paolo Tronca added that the guidelines for keeping organised crime out of the Expo had been streamlined to cut out the bureaucracy which could create conditions for avoiding the checks.
According to ANSA, officials have said that organized crime has already attempted infiltration of Expo, to be held in the city from May 1 to October 31 next year.
Expo 2015 will explore the theme "Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life" on an exposition site covering 110 hectares (272 acres). It is expected to attract 29 million visitors.