Franciscan museum shows Adoration collection.
The Museo dei Cappuccini, run by the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin, will hold an extraordinary open house on Saturday 12 December for a display of paintings of the Adoration of the shepherds at Christ’s birth.
Normally open only two days a week, the museum has assembled a collection of paintings of the nativity scene by artists both Italian and foreign, including the Flemish-born but naturalised Italian Giovanni Rosa (1591-1638).
The Franciscan order has a close link to Nativity scenes: St Francis himself, according to legend, was the first to organise a living scene with ox and donkey in the Lazio town of Greccio in the 13th century, as a vehicle for teaching the story of the birth of the Christ-child to the villagers and pilgrims.
The museum, on Via Kramer 5, will be open on Saturday only from 10.00 to 18.00. At 11.00 and 16.00, museum director Rosa Giorgi will introduce and explain the collection. Entry is free; donations welcomed.