The historic Jucker collection reassembled after 40 years. 13 Nov-29 Feb.
Milan’s Museo Poldi Pezzoli has opened an extraordinary collection of 55 masterpieces of the Macchiaioli school of painters, put together lovingly by collectors Giacomo and Ida Jucker and split up on the closure of their private museum close to Milan's central station in 1974.
Works of the Tuscan group of artists, formed in Florence around 1850, were originally received with hostility by contemporary critics, leading to the almost mocking description of macchiaioli or “daubers”. They achieved recognition as forerunners of the Impressionists only at the end of the century, too late for many who had died in penury.
The Jucker collection embraces works by Silvestro Lega, Telemaco Signorini, Giovanni Costa, Odoardo Borrani, Vincenzo Cabianca and Giovanni Fattori, arguably the best-known member of the movement, many of whom were also activists who fought alongside Garibaldi in the wars of independence.